divider

divider

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I Like Myself!

Happy Wednesday! I continued guidance lessons with kindergarten this week. Our focus was on self-esteem and uniqueness. I began the lesson by reading the book, I Like Myself! by Karen Beaumont and illustrated by David Catrow. This book is such a wonderful way to show the students that, even if they have flaws, they are ALL wonderful! I Like Myself! inspires kids to appreciate everything about themselves…on the inside and outside. Without uniqueness, the world would be so boring! 


The students were encouraged to reflect on what they like about themselves. As a class, we came up with a fantastic list of unique traits. Some examples from our list are, “I like my long hair,” “I am smart,” “I like my clothes,” “I am fast,” and “I am funny.” This was a great opportunity for the students to recognize and appreciate similarities and differences between one another. 

For our activity, I used a document by Cheerful Counseling on Teachers Pay Teachers. This is such a great resource! I added a place on the document for students to write their names as well as lines for the students to write about themselves. It was so fun to watch the kids really reflect and realize how great they ALL are! Below are a few examples:

This student likes that she is confident, fast, and strong!

This student likes his hair, Xbox, and the fact that he is smart!
This student likes soccer, her bike, and her clothes. 
This student likes that she is smart!
This was such a fun lesson. I can't wait to do it again for the kindergarteners next year! Have a great rest of your week! :)

-Mrs. Bagby

No comments:

Post a Comment